Careers that Change Lives
At Medtronic, we contribute to human welfare and wellbeing through biomedical engineering. Everyday we’re involved in meaningful work to change people’s lives and health for the better. Now is your chance to join a talented team of engineers focused on providing software development pipelines and frameworks, Kubernetes and container services and technologies, full-stack observability as well as global source code and binary code services to our research scientist, medical device manufacturing, regulatory, IT, marketing, and sales teams across our company.
In this role, along with other open SRE positions on our team, you will work with your manager to best utilize skills, career growth, and interest and your manager will allocate resources of the SRE team members among four (4) key services: Kubernetes / containerization services, source code management services, DevSecOps CI/CD core services, and full-stack observability services. As the SRE roles are currently defining best practices and skills and are in their initial and baseline-building phase within our team at Medtronic, these initial SRE roles offer an exciting and rare opportunity. You will be able to help lay down foundational SRE best practices and patterns, create a base set of SRE services, and work directly with existing product development software engineers and existing support teams to begin to incorporate SRE best practices into their current software product development and operations lifecycle.
A Day in the Life
· Work with product development teams to improve the whole product development lifecycle of services — from inception and design, through deployment, operation, and refinement
· Using both existing and new infrastructure-as-code pipelines, services, and capabilities, you will deploy, upgrade, observe/monitor, operate/maintain and self-heal our team’s suite mission critical products and services
· Closely collaborate with the product software engineers to create highly operable and maintainable products throughout all stages of their product lifecycle management processes
· Practice sustainable incident response, help drive accountability through effective postmortems, and be empowered to run your responsible services to their highest capability
· Work with test engineering to design, develop, and run meaningful reliability management tests for production systems
· Work to have all deployment, operational, and run-time management done through programmatic control
· Work closely with other process teams, such as quality, regulatory, change control, etc., to educate and implement automated change processes that are in full compliance with their standards
· Ensure security policy requirements are properly and programmatically applied to components/applications that are within the control of the SRE processes
· Be an integral member of the core DevSecOps/Shared Services product team and help test, deploy, and operate our services 24x7x365 globally
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
Doctorate degree OR Master’s degree
Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of related experience
Associate degree and 4-7 years of related experience
High School Diploma and 7+ years of related experience
Nice to Have
A degree in computer science or related field
Hands-on experience with configuration management tools and frameworks for deployment such as Terraform Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt, or AWS CloudFormation Templates
Experience working in an agile development lifecycle environment
Working knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) or other cloud technology platforms
Solid knowledge of various Linux environments. Distro’s include Ubuntu, Centos, Debian, RedHat, and Amazon Linux, as well as familiarity with Windows OS’s.
Understand security and encryption technologies. Knowledge of authentication protocols including OpenID, OIDC, OAuth, SAML, and LDAP.
Knowledge of Docker containerization and Kubernetes/EKS cluster management for container orchestration
Experience with automated monitoring frameworks such as InfluxDB, Grafana, OpenTelemetry, Telegraf, Fluentd, Prometheus, etc.
Application and system level debug and triage experience
Experience managing distributed runtime applications using programmatic interfaces
Experience with build systems (Make, Bazel/Pants/Buck, Gradle, etc.) and package management tools (Bitnami, Helm, pip, npm/yarn, etc.)
Experience with source code and version control tools, preferably Git
Real-world experience leveraging contemporary full-stack monitoring, alerting, and self-healing
Experience working in a medical regulated environment considered a plus
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.